At Grantham Dramatic Society we’re thrilled to open the doors to our new home in a former pub and indoor market on Westgate. The new space, we hope, will become a focal point for the arts and creativity in Grantham and the surrounding areas.GDS has had its own premises in Grantham for many years, most recently at The Old Malthouse on Springfield Road which we occupied for fifteen years. While it was a welcoming space and home-from-home to our members over many years, its limitations had become increasingly apparent. Lacking in floor space, without a kitchen and with poor access for people with disabilities, we had begun to outgrow The Old Malthouse unit.
Our vision is to open the space up to other arts, performing and music groups for low-cost hire, creating a hub for the visual and performing arts in the area. Eventually, we even hope to put on performances of our own there.
Buckminster has a long-standing commitment to the development of Grantham’s town centre and the community as a whole and have been a fantastic support to GDS – we’d like to offer them our sincere thanks.
Our members have been working tirelessly to get renovation works underway but there is a huge amount still to do, and we’re hoping that the community will get behind us. That’s why we’ve launched a fundraising campaign to help meet the costs of creating the brilliant new space.
How you can help:
- Visit our online fundraising page to make a donation, all contributions large or small are welcomed
- Cheques made payable to Grantham Dramatic Society can be sent to us at 85 Westgate, Grantham, or dropped in to Cafe Leo
- We’re collecting spare change and leftover foreign currency – even if it’s no longer legal tender, such as pre-Euro currency. You can drop it in to our friends at Café Leo
- Own a business? Talk to us about sponsorship opportunities – email email@example.com
- Got skills to share or want to get involved? Get in touch.
We’re planning a drop-in opening event on 26th July, from 6pm to 9pm, to which anyone interested in the project is invited.
Taking part in arts and cultural activities has so many benefits
- An opportunity to be creative
- Developing new skills and confidence
- Reducing isolation and loneliness
- Becoming part of the community
Plus, research shows It can even be good for your health! Supporting us will help us – and other groups – to spread these benefits to more people.
We always welcome new members and encourage people of all backgrounds who are interested in being creative and making new friends to get in touch!
Interested in hiring our space? Get in touch to find out more!